Sunday 19 June 2016

Creative work - coil bowl

Creative Work




For my coil bowl I have used a range of found fabrics similar to the earthy colours Abrams uses and brighter dyed Calico of Buttercup yellow and Jade Green. I only used a small amount of the dyed calico and I really like the contrast between the earthy greens, whites and browns against the bright Yellow and Jade. This addition makes the piece look more interesting because it is subtly incorporated into the bowl and enhances rather than taking the attention away from the blander colours. The coiling technique was hard at first and the stitching is very uneven, however I like the rough look to the bowl and the advantage of hand stitching the bowl together is that you can unstitch if you go wrong. I also think the bowl has a good shape; it is quite evenly round and stands upright. To add texture and improve the appearance of the bowl I have taken inspiration from Abrams use of found materials I tied strands of gold string to the thread that bound round the first section of coiled material. I like the look of this but next time I would use it on coils that are higher up the bowl because you can’t see the gold strands on the base coil that well. It gives It a bird nest look which I like I could incorporate found objects such as twigs leaves and feathers like Abrams has. I also loosely incorporated blue mesh fabric into the top coil which I really like, the blue contrasts well with the rest of the bowl and the ‘puffed’ areas of the fabric reminds me of petals. To further experiment with this idea I could play about with coiling fabric into a flower shape and then using the mesh to look like petals.

No comments:

Post a Comment