Sunday 19 June 2016

Creative Work - Felt bowl

Creative work





In this sample I used too much felt over the edge of the resist which made it hard to smooth the felt down when I folded the side over because it creased and overlapped into itself. As the layers increases the edges became more and more uneven and eventually lumpy. To get round this, the length of the overlapping felt would need to be shorter so it is less likely for the felt (and less felt) to crease together when it is smoothed down. Because the exterior was lumpy, when I made the cut into the felt making it into a felt pocket, I turned it inside out because the interior was smoother. However the felt on the original exterior had neater ‘lines’ between the coloured felts. This is because when I built up the layers I didn’t like the look of the overlapping/semi blended turquoise and pink fibres as it went a brown colour so when I laid down the felt fibres I made sure they were side by side and not over one another. Despite this I did like the look of the overlapping of the purple and pink felt; In future I think I need to spend more time thinking about a colour scheme and which colours will look good together. To improve the look of the bowl I stitched around the opening – I really like the look of the stitching I think it enhances the aesthetics of the bowl. It also serves as a structural aid as it has made the bowl stiffer and it keeps its shape better than before. For these reasons I would incorporate stitch into any future bowls. I like the technique because it is easy to execute and the outcome is simple but pretty.  To further explore this technique I could lay materials such as string over the resist and layer the felt fibres over the top so when I turn it inside out the string will get felted into the exterior of the bowl. I could also experiment with different coloured felts and create patterns with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment